AUTHOR: Virgil Nistru ȚIGĂNUȘ
530 YEARS OF STABILITY. TESTIMONIES FROM VORONEȚ (1488-2018)
Danubius, XXXV, Galaţi, 2017, p. 213-216.
This essay was written on the occasion of the celebration of 530 years since the foundation, in 1488, of „St. Gheorghe” Monastery from Voroneț – Bukovina. The sacred buiding was erected on a place where there had been some previous monachic settlements, by the Ruler of the entire Moldavia – Ștefan the Great. He raised the monastery at the council received by the hermit St. Daniil. The construction works lasted only for three months, three weeks and three days.
470 years ago, in 1547, at the request of the ruler Petru Rareș and under the authority of the Methropolitan Grigore Roșca, the outer walls of the monastery were painted, according to the conditions required by the church canons. The impressing wall-painting „Judgment Day” brought to the church the fame of being a „Sixtine Chapel of the East”. Nowadays, several nuns, which have graduated from important universities, recognized all over Europe, bring even more prestige to this blessed place.